Great Lakes Vessels Online Index
Registry and Rig Information
- Vessel Name: ATLANTIC SUPERIOR
- Nationality: CANADA
- Official Number: 383533
- Rig: Propeller
Dimensions and Tonnage
- Length: 730.00
- Width: 76.00
- Depth: 47.00
- Masts: 0
- Gross Tonnage: 24638.00
- Net Tonnage: 16464.00
- Hull Material: Steel
- Hull Number: 00222
- Rebuilds: New bow Fall of 1984.
- History: First register issued at Collingwood, Ontario, June 22, 1982.
As ATLANTIC SUPERIOR: Ran aground early on the morning of September 29, 1982 in the American Narrows section of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The ship was refloated October 1, after 2,000 of the 23,000 metric ton cargo of Canadian wheat was offloaded onto the McAllister barge MARBLEHEATH. Fog and currents are being cited as the cause of the grounding which resulted in the damage to the vessel's forward section.
One crewman suffered major burns in a flash methane fire at Port Hawkesbury, N.S. on June 24, 1984.
Grounded on Oct. 5 at Sines, Portugal, and had to be dry-docked at Setubal. (1987) (CHIPS, Vol. 16, No. 14, 12-12-1987, p.3)
- Disposition: Transferred to a Commonwealth port. Registry closed March 30, 1987.
- Builder: Collingwood Shipyards, Ltd.
- Place Built: Collingwood, Ontario
- Year Built: 1982
|Federal Commerce & Navigation, Ltd. (Canada Steamship Lines, Ltd., Mgrs.)
||1982 - current
|No name changes recorded.