Great Lakes Vessels Online Index
Registry and Rig Information
- Vessel Name: BARNES, R.L.
- Nationality: U.S.
- Official Number: 215115
- Rig: Propeller
Dimensions and Tonnage
- Length: 251.66
- Width: 43.16
- Depth: 21.42
- Masts: 0
- Gross Tonnage: 1914.00
- Net Tonnage: 1118.00
- Hull Material: Steel
- Hull Number: 00001
- Rebuilds: United States Navy measures, 1918 (251 x 43.16 x 18.5; 5380 displ.) Measures change, 1945 (251.25 x 43.25 x 21.58; 2015 gross - 1401 net).
- History: Vessel acquired by U.S. Navy on June 29, 1918; commissioned on October 19, 1918 (SP 3088). Served as oil storage vessel at Guam, 1920-1941. Captured by invading Japanese forces, December 10, 1941. Stricken from Navy List, July 24, 1942. Hulk refitted in 1945. Damaged by a mine in the Berhala Straits on June 3 or 4, 1945, and taken to Singapore for repairs. While there she was captured by the Royal Navy on September 20, 1945.
- Disposition: Scrapped in 1950.
- Builder: McDougall-Duluth Shipbuilding Co.
- Place Built: Duluth, MN
- Year Built: 1917
|R.L. Barnes Steamship Co.||1917 - 1918||U.S.||AO-41|
|United States Navy||1918 - 1941||U.S.||U.S. NAVY|
|Government of Imperial Japan||1941 - 1945||JAPAN|
|Ministry of Transport||1945 - 1949||SINGAPORE|
|E.K. Liong, Ltd.||1949 - 1950||HONG KONG|
|ROBERT L. BARNES||1918 - 1920||U.S.||U.S. NAVY|
|ROBERT L. BARNES||1920 - 1941||U.S.||AO-41|
|HASU MARU||1942 - 1945||JAPAN|
|FORTUNE||1945 - 1949||U.K.|
|M.T.S. NO. 2||1949 - 1950||U.K.|