Great Lakes Vessels Online Index
Registry and Rig Information
- Vessel Name: DETROIT EDISON
- Nationality: U.S.
- Official Number: 269187
- Rig: Propeller
Dimensions and Tonnage
- Length: 589.58
- Width: 72.16
- Depth: 36.16
- Masts: 0
- Gross Tonnage: 12172.00
- Net Tonnage: 8744.00
- Hull Material: Steel
- Hull Number: 00418
- Rebuilds: Lengthened by Fraser Shipyards, Superior, WI, during winter of 1965-66 (13723 gross - 10296 net; 661.58 x 72.16 x 36.16).
- History: Maiden voyage on April 15, 1955.
As DETROIT EDISON: Ran aground at Fairport, OH, outbound, when bow thrusters proved useless against strong wind; September 4, 1970.
Grounded in Amherstburg Channel, Detroit River, May 1, 1970; released with slight bottom damage.
Ran aground on Grays Reef in Lake Michigan on December 22, 1980. After several hours, she released herself; however, she sustained major bottom damage.
- Disposition: Late 1986 towed to Brownsville, TX, for breaking.
- Builder: Manitowoc Ship Building Co.
- Place Built: Manitowoc, WI
- Year Built: 1954
|American Steamship Co. (Boland & Cornelius, Mgrs.)
||1954 - current
|No name changes recorded.