Great Lakes Vessels Online Index
Registry and Rig Information
- Vessel Name: HOCHELAGA
- Nationality: CANADA
- Official Number: 190479
- Rig: Propeller
Dimensions and Tonnage
- Length: 623.16
- Width: 67.16
- Depth: 30.33
- Masts: 0
- Gross Tonnage: 11997.00
- Net Tonnage: 0.00
- Hull Material: Steel
- Hull Number: 00144
- Rebuilds: Converted to self-unloader by Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., Port Arthur, Ont., in winter, 1963-64 (12616 gross - 8718 net).
- History: Chartered to Westdale Co., spring 1979.
As HOCHELAGA: Struck breakwall at Conneaut, OH, April 4, 1969, while being towed from inner harbor, damaging stern. Towed to Port Colborne, Ont., for repairs.
In collision with steamer EDMUND FITZGERALD at mouth of Detroit River, May 1, 1970, receiving slight damage.
Struck dock at Toledo, spring 1974, causing stern damage. Rudder hoisted back in place at Port Weller on May 6.
Suffered boiler problems in May and June 1978, spending most of those months at Thunder Bay undergoing repairs.
Was blown aground by strong winds in Sandusky Bay, December 21, 1979 as she proceeded up the unmarked channel. She sustained no damage.
Lost her self-unloading boom while unloading stone at Windsor, Ontario on April 22, 1980.
- Disposition: Arrived under tow at Toronto, November 10, 1987. The boom was taken off and placed on WINNIPEG in October, 1990. Left Toronto October 2, 1992 under tow to overseas scrappers.
- Builder: Collingwood Shipyards, Ltd.
- Place Built: Collingwood, Ontario
- Year Built: 1949
|Canada Steamship Lines, Ltd.
||1949 - 1973
|North Continent Capital, Ltd. (Canada Steamship Lines, Ltd., Mgrs.)
||1973 - current
|No name changes recorded.