Great Lakes Vessels Online Index
Registry and Rig Information
- Vessel Name: PERE MARQUETTE
- Nationality: U.S.
- Official Number: 150740
- Rig: Propeller
Dimensions and Tonnage
- Length: 338.00
- Width: 57.58
- Depth: 34.75
- Masts: 0
- Gross Tonnage: 5580.00
- Net Tonnage: 4133.00
- Hull Material: Steel
- Hull Number: 00119
- Rebuilds: Tonnage and dimension change, 1897 (337 x 57.58 x 17; 2443 gross - 1634 net).
- History: First enrolled at Port Huron, MI, January 8, 1897.
Was first steel-hulled car ferry on Lake Michigan; arrived at Ludington from West Bay City on February 13, 1897. Made maiden voyage, Ludington-Manitowoc, on February 17, 1897.
Was transferred to Marquette & Bessemer route, Conneaut, Ohio-Port Dover, during 1910 season as replacement for sunken MARQUETTE & BESSEMER NO. 2.
Was serving out of Conneaut again in 1915.
Laid up at Ludington, MI, in 1930, and was never placed back in service.
As PERE MARQUETTE: Struck and sunk fish tug T.M. FERRY, at Pere Marquette Lumber Co., dock, Ludington, MI, on February 21, 1897.
Collided with and sank scow SILVER LAKE in fog, May 28, 1900, about twelve miles off Manitowoc, WI; 1 life lost on scow.
- Disposition: Scrapped at Manitowoc, WI, in winter, 1935-1936.
- Builder: Wheeler, F.W. & Co.
- Place Built: West Bay City, MI
- Year Built: 1897
|Pere Marquette Railway Co.
||1897 - 1935
|PERE MARQUETTE 15
||1924 - 1935