Great Lakes Vessels Online Index
PERE MARQUETTE 20
Registry and Rig Information
- Vessel Name: PERE MARQUETTE 20
- Nationality: U.S.
- Official Number: 200531
- Rig: Propeller
Dimensions and Tonnage
- Length: 338.00
- Width: 56.00
- Depth: 19.42
- Masts: 0
- Gross Tonnage: 2626.00
- Net Tonnage: 1495.00
- Hull Material: Steel
- Hull Number: 00419
- Rebuilds: Rebuilt as auto ferry, Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., in 1938 (2620 gross - 1546 net). Converted for double-end loading, 1947 (2585 gross - 1684 net). Rig changed to barge for potato storage hulk; propellers removed, 1962 (5376 gross - 5376 net).
- History: Unofficially renamed NO. 2, 1962.
As PERE MARQUETTE 20: Collided with and sank sand scow HIRAM R. BOND, in fog, while leaving Milwaukee harbor, May 29, 1905; no lives lost.
Stranded on North Point, just north of Milwaukee, WI, on December 10, 1911. Released by two tugs and PERE MARQUETTE 17, on December 14, 1911.
Converted for use as auto/passenger ferry across Straits of Mackinac, 1938. Sold, along with CITY OF PETOSKEY, for total price of $160,000 to K. & K. Truck Trailer Service Co., in March, 1959, for service between Muskegon and Milwaukee. Interstate Commerce Commission rejected application for certificate of public convenience and necessity because of competition with Lake Michigan car ferries. Sold to Washington Island Storage Corp. in May, 1961, for use as potato storage bin, along with CITY OF CHEBOYGAN. Moved from Washington Island, WI, to Benton Harbor, MI, in fall, 1961, and unofficially renamed NO. 2.
Passed down Detroit, from Benton Harbor, MI, October 3, 1973, in tow of tugs JOHN PURVIS and BARBARA ANN. Cleared Welland, October 12, 1973, in tow of tugs G.W. ROGERS and SALVAGE MONARCH, for Quebec. Cleared Quebec, along with car ferry EDWARD H. ANDERSON, in tow of German tug SEETRANS I, and assisted by tug JERRY G., on October 18, 1973. Passed Gibraltar, November 3, 1973, for Genoa, Italy, and scrapping. Dropped from documentation in November-December, 1973.
- Builder: American Ship Building Co.
- Place Built: Cleveland, OH
- Year Built: 1903
|Pere Marquette Railway Co.
||1903 - 1938
|State of Michigan (Dept. of Highways)
||1938 - 1959
|K. & K. Truck Trailer Service Co.
||1959 - 1961
|Washington Island Storage Corp.
||1961 - 1973
|CITY OF MUNISING
||1938 - 1973