Great Lakes Vessels Online Index
Registry and Rig Information
- Vessel Name: RENSSELAER
- Nationality: U.S.
- Official Number: 111302
- Rig: Propeller
Dimensions and Tonnage
- Length: 454.00
- Width: 50.00
- Depth: 28.42
- Masts: 0
- Gross Tonnage: 5124.00
- Net Tonnage: 3827.00
- Hull Material: Steel
- Hull Number: 00402
- Rebuilds: Reconstructed, 1920 (454 x 50 x 24; 4472 gross - 3411 net).
- History: First enrolled at Cleveland, OH, August 31, 1900.
Used as "trade-in" tonnage with U.S. Maritime Commission, 1943.
In collision with and sank propeller JAMES GAYLEY, on August 7,
1912, forty-two miles E x S 5/8 S of Manitou Island, Lake
Superior, in fog. Damage estimated at $10,000 to RENSSELAER.
- Disposition: Scrapped by Steel Co. of Canada, Ltd., Hamilton, Ontario, in 1947. After lying at Erie, PA, 1945-1946, passed down Port Colborne, December 7, 1946, in tow of tugs HELENA and TOWMASTER, bound for Hamilton, Ontario.
- Builder: American Ship Building Co.
- Place Built: Cleveland, OH
- Year Built: 1900
|Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
||1900 - 1943
|U.S. Maritime Commission (Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Mgrs.)
||1943 - 1947
|No name changes recorded.