||Purchased by U.S. Navy prior to being enrolled, on May 21, 1898; commissioned on June 1, 1898. Sailed from Philadelphia on June 14, 1898 to patrol between Key West, FL, and Havana, Cuba, with occasional trips to Key West for stores and repairs. Returned to Hampton Roads, VA, on August 28, 1898 and placed out of commission at Norfolk Navy Yard on September 20, 1898. In January, 1900, taken to League Island; placed in commission there October 1 through 24, 1900. In May, 1901, loaned to Illinois Naval Militia; came to Chicago via St. Lawrence River. In 1909 transferred to Ohio Naval Militia. Placed back in full commission on April 20, 1917; sailed for East Coast on July 2, 1917, arriving at Key West, FL, on August 10, 1917. Patrolled Mexican and southern U.S. waters, then departed New Orleans on January 18, 1918 for Havana to train Cuban naval officers. On November 13, 1918, assigned to serve as transport in Cuban, Porto Rican, Dominican waters under command of military governor of Santa Domingo. Arrived at New Orleans, May 30, 1919; decommissioned on June 23, 1919, and sold out of service on November 20, 1919.