KAMINISTIQUIA

Registry and Rig Information

Name KAMINISTIQUIA
Registry U.K.
Official Number 125457
Rig Propeller

Dimensions and Tonnage

Length 250.00
Width 43.00
Depth 22.50
Gross Tonnage 2172.00
Net Tonnage 1401.00
Hull Material Steel
Hull Number 00819

Vessel History

Rebuilds Converted from tanker to bulk cement carrier by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, WI, in 1929. Rig changed to barge, 1968.
History Removed from documentation in May/June, 1969 as \"Exempt.\" Renamed SEA CASTLE, after being dropped from documentation. Towed by tug NORTH AMERICAN in cement trade, Petoskey-Milwaukee, after this.As U.S. barge SEA CASTLE: Driven aground off Charlevoix, MI, Lake Michigan, on October 16, 1972, between Fishermans Island and Norwood, MI, while in tow of tug LAUREN CASTLE. Gotten off by tug CHARLES ASHER on October 20, and entered Bay Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, WI, for repairs on October 25, 1972.
On May 13, 1974 as about to enter channel joining Lake Macatawa with Lake Michigan in tow of tug JOHN M. SELVICK, explosion occurred on stern deck of barge, apparently caused by over heated air compressor. Fire resulted, barge drifted and hit pierhead, causing two-foot hole in stern above waterline. Fire put out after vessel secured.

Build Information

Builder Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Ltd.
Place Built Wallsend-on-Tyne, Great Britain
Date Built 1909-00-00

Source

Source HCGL

Vessel Names

NameBegin DateEnd DateRegistryOfficial Number
WESTOIL1917-00-001923-00-00U.S.214109
JOHN, J.B.1923-00-001954-00-00U.S.214109
GALSTER, JOHN L.A.1954-00-001969-00-00U.S.214109
SEA CASTLE1969-00-00U.S.

Vessel Owners

NameBegin DateEnd DateRegistryOfficial Number
Western Navigation Co., Ltd. (J. Murphy, Mgr.)1909-00-001915-00-00U.K.125457
Imperial Oil Co., Ltd.1915-00-001917-00-00U.K.125457
Standard Oil Co.1917-00-001921-00-00U.S.214109
E.P. Farley & Co.1921-00-001922-00-00U.S.214109
Petoskey Transportation Co.1922-00-001956-00-00U.S.214109
Penn Dixie Cement Corp.1956-00-00U.S.214109