||Commissioned in U.S. Navy, June 5, 1922, and used for experimental work out of New London, CT, until 1926. After refitting at Portsmouth, NH, and while out of New London, CT, on April 20, 1926, forward battery exploded, killing four and injuring eight. Returned to operations in January, 1927, off Key West, Dry Tortugas, and Tampa Bay. Returned to New London, March 12, 1927, then to Portsmouth and Philadelphia, arriving there on March 31, 1927. Decommissioned and laid up at League Island, on August 2, 1927; removed from Navy List on March 21, 1931, to conform to London Naval Treaty. Sold to Boston Iron & Metal Co., Baltimore, MD, on May 25, 1931. Later sold to Captain F.J. Chrestensen, of Buffalo, NY, with all diving equipment removed, for touring and exhibition on Great Lakes. Was part of Great Lakes Exposition, Cleveland, OH, in 1936, and arrived for exhibition, under tow, at Toronto, Ontario, in April, 1938. Was reacquired for experimental service by Naval Mine Warfare Proving Grounds, Solomon, MD, in 1943.